Monday, 31 August 2009

Helmets

A lot has been said about wearing or not wearing cycle helmets.

Those against helmets make a few very valid points:
Apparently, according to CTC research motorists give cyclists without helmets wider berth whe overtking. Also, making helmets compulsory will put many people off cycling.

I can see the sense in both these points.

BUT... I'm not actually interested in the academics of it all. I'm intereted in what would happen when I fall off my bike, regardless of the reason for falling off.

To my mind there is simply no argument - a helmet WILL increase my chances of not getting severely injured. Also, many cycle helmets are actually just high density foam with a pretty skin over, which is why I cycle with a skating helmet. At last I have a hard plastic shell to offer additional protection.